RUN DMC x Reena Tolentino Vinyl Record
RUN DMC has curated this hand-numbered, limited-edition deluxe double-disc vinyl record to honor Jam Master Jay and the 35th anniversary of their iconic album "Raising Hell".
The soundtrack embodies the story of RUN DMC's legacy, featuring songs that inspired, affected and changed the ground-breaking group's music, from The Sugarhill Gang and Afrika Bambaataa to MFSB and Kraftwerk. Exclusive RUN DMC labels adorn the double-disc gatefold sleeve, which features a unique work of art by Reena Tolentino aka. 'RT', who also offers her interpretation of the iconic RUN DMC logo.
‣ Music Curated by : RUN DMC
‣ Art Direction by : Reena Tolentino
‣ Created by : 12on12
‣ “Superrappin’” by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
‣ “Seven Minutes of Funk” by The Whole Darn Family
‣ “Planet Rock” by Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force
‣ “Trans Europe Express” by Kraftwerk
‣ “Walk This Way” by Aerosmith
‣ “Rock Box” by RUN DMC
‣ “Apache (Jump On It)” by The Sugarhill Gang
‣ “Brand Nubian” by Brand Nubian
‣ “Good Times” by Chic
‣ “Love Is the Message” by MFSB
‣ “The Look of Love” by Kenny G
‣ “You Bring Me Joy” by Anita Baker
Run DMC x Reena Tolentino
RUN DMC roared out of Hollis, Queens, transforming R&B party funk with a new combination of sparse beats and intricate production textures without pretension.
To celebrate the 35th anniversary of their seminal 1986 album Raising Hell, RUN DMC teamed up with 12on12 to create a special drop dedicated to Jam Master Jay. Curating a record of songs that inspired, affected and changed the ground-breaking group's music from early hip-hop pioneers such as The Sugarhill Gang and Afrika Bambaataa, as well as selecting some of the sounds that contributed to the nascent hip-hop movement in New York during the early 1980s such as MFSB and Kraftwerk.
The band chose Reena Tolentino, one of the most exciting names on the LA art scene, to create the unique work of art for the record, including reinterpreting the classic RUN DMC logo, one of hip-hop's most iconic logos.