Smiley x André Saraiva Premium & Editioned Vinyl Record
This 180gm picture disc vinyl record, numbered with foil-stamping, features André Saraiva's contemporary take on the classic Smiley. A PVC sleeve with surprise elements covers the album's jacket, which fashions the spray paint textures and graphics created in André's Paris Atelier on a rainbow metallic surface.
Among the artists featured on the upbeat, positive and happy soundtrack are Diplo, Cedric Gervais, Steve Aoki, and David Guetta.
‣ Music Curated by : 12on12 Creative Director - Claudia Moross
‣ Art Direction by : André Saraiva for Smiley®
‣ Created by : 12on12
‣ “Silver Screen (Shower Scene)” by David Guetta x Felix Da Housecat x Miss Kittin
‣ “Love To The World” by Diplo & Wax Motif
‣ “Joypunks” by Big Wild
‣ “The Game” by Zines
‣ “Bring The Love” by GAMPER & DADONI
‣ “So Good” (feat. Kelli-Leigh) by Fred Falke, Zen Freeman & Ten Ven
‣ “Da Homies” by Steve Aoki x MT11
‣ “Sunny” (Edit) by L’Tric x Sgt Slick x Chloe Wilson
‣ “Everybody Dance” (feat. Nile Rodgers) by Cedric Gervais x Franklin
‣ “Feel So High” (feat. JordinLaine) (Pegato Remix) by Eklo
‣ "Dancing In The Moonlight” (feat. NEIMY) [PBH & Jack Shizzle Sunset Remix] by Jubël
‣ “Feelin Good” by Deep Chills
We donate 10% of all sales from this release to ‘To Write Love On Her Arms’, a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire, and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery. For more information, visit www.twloha.com
Smiley x André Saraiva
Throughout its history, Smiley has stood for a spirit of defiant optimism, a beacon of hope amidst decades of global strife and gloomy forecasts. It is an emblem for anyone wishing to swap a narrative of despair for possibility and promise.
Music and art have a special relationship with Smiley, largely due to the dual symbolism of the icon, both as a mainstream driver and counter-culture subvertor of that very mainstream. Smiley's adoption as the figurehead of the acid house movement in the late 1980s exemplifies this.
In honour of this longstanding iconicity in pop culture, 12on12 decided to drop a vinyl record to mark the symbol's 50th anniversary. André Saraiva, the legendary graffiti artist, was commissioned by Smiley to create a new version of the iconic logo. A sense of boundless positivity permeates this design, which also features original spray paint textures from Andre. Upbeat electronic music accompanies the artwork to ensure an uplifting sensory experience.